Patricia Toole returns to teach with PTNW this spring! She presented an interactive and informative course two years ago and we are excited to partner with her again. This workshop offers a hands-on and functional approach supporting those individuals who have difficulty completing full rest and sleep due to positioning challenges. This course is guaranteed to impact and change how you approach sleeping and resting positioning for your patients and loved ones.
A Hands-On Approach to 24 hour Postural Care for Pediatric and Neurologic Patients
Contact Hours: 6
Course Time: 7:30 am registration; 8:00 am-3:30 pm
Who should attend?: Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, and Occupational Therapist Assistants. All levels of competency are welcome.
WE MISS ALL OF YOU! ALL OUR COURSES ARE CANCELLED SECONDARY TO COVID-19. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN FOR A LIVE COURSE. UNTIL THEN, STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY.
Click Here for Paper Registration to Fax or Mail:
Click Here for Online Registration:
Who should attend?: This course is appropriate for Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Physical Therapists, PTA’s, Direct Support Providers, and family members working with individuals across the lifespan who experience limited mobility that impacts their ability to sustain and change positions, and which therefore puts the individual at the mercy of gravity over time in positions of sleep and rest. People who take this course are empowered to intervene to make sleeping hours more comfortable and therapeutically effective in preserving and even improving body symmetry. All levels of experience are welcome.
Practice Setting: Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Developmental Disabilities, Neuromuscular Diagnoses….
This is an active, hands-on course in which participants will learn to provide physical supports for clients in positions of sleep and rest so that they are empowered to rest straight, minimize pain, and avoid body shape distortions over time. We will cover background first:
- What is the evidence base?
- Why postural care is important even out of the wheelchair?
- What difference can it make in the lives of clients and their first circle of support?
Then, we will jump into hands-on learning: Participants will have the opportunity to experience resting in a supported position, placing their learning partner in a supported resting position, and talk about how to measure success. Participants will leave with a list of resources for further learning, a shopping list, and the skills needed to begin implementing with their clients on Monday!
Goals and Objectives:
- Participants will learn about the effects of gravity over time in positions of sleep and rest
- Participants will learn how they can make gravity work in their client’s favor over time to achieve therapeutic objectives
- Participants will learn to evaluate client body shapes, link them to sleep positions, and develop a client centered plan for “sleeping better”
- Participants will experience sleep supports from both the client and the caregiver role and will have the opportunity to try a variety of commercially available products.
- Participants will learn effective multisensory strategies for educating patients and direct supporters (paid and unpaid) so that they understand both “how” and “why” well enough to implement the plan on their own in the middle of the night.
8:00 Introductions and Outline
8:30-9:45: Gravity over time, Case studies, making gravity work for your clients
10:00-11:30: Questions from 1st session, evaluation of client body shapes, linking body shape to sleep position, and developing a client centered treatment plan for “sleeping better”
12:30-2:00 Introduction to materials, small groups position each other for sleep
2:15-2:30 Questions from hands-on session, pointers, shopping list
2:30-3:15: Implementing the client centered plan, supporting the client’s first circle of support in learning new skills. Forms for client evaluation. Forms for caregiver education.
3:15-3:30: Questions, feedback, course evaluations
Presenter: Patricia Toole, MAT, MS OT, OTR/L, MOM is an Occupational Therapist with 20 years of lived experience in seating, positioning and postural care. She has been working professionally in the area of assistive technology, wheeled mobility and positioning for the last 10 years including the last 2 years implementing postural care interventions with her… Continue reading BIO: Amazing Sleep! Instructor Patricia Toole, MAT, MS OT, OTR/L, MOM